Completion Date: 1997
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Construction Cost: $420,000.00
Architect: MLD Architects, Randy G. Lewis AIA, Principal
Consultant: Tomlinson Peterson and Assoc., J. Terry Peterson, Project Manager
The Governor Martin House, was built between 1929 and 1935. In 1996, the 5,000 square foot house was rehabilitated to provide space for the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs. The Governor Martin House rehabilitation project was the recipient of the 1999 Tallahassee/Leon County Preservation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Civic County Resource Preservation. The project included the transformation of the existing house, which was in severe disrepair, into the new office and display space for the State Department’s Division of Cultural Affairs. Rehabilitation of the historic structure included restoration of the large open space with exposed wood beams and paneling and exterior envelope repairs.
The objective of this project was to stabilize and rehabilitate the rapidly deteriorating building, create office space for the Division of Cultural Affairs, create a facility to exhibit and honor Governor Martin and his work, and to ensure the site, building and its history are accessible to the public.
- The house is located on the oldest Spanish settlement in Florida, requiring complete archeological observation and screening of all exterior disturbances.
- Maintain the integrity of the original design of the house, while meeting the needs of the new end user
- Relocate an entire department from a 10,000 s.f. office space to a 6,000 s.f. office space with no staff reduction.
- Match the existing wood paneling where new paneling was required was difficult because of the size needed and lack of availability.
- Coordination with the Florida Bureau of Historic Preservation