MLD Architects is a full service architectural firm with several award winning projects. Our services include design, construction documents, bidding, and construction administration services for both new and renovation construction projects.

In addition to full service building and renovation design, MLD Architects has extensive experience in roof design and consultation. Randy Lewis is a recognized roofing systems expert, and has written articles for Florida AIA magazine and Florida Roofers magazine. MLD Architects has earned an excellent reputation for diagnosing roof problems, and offering corrective solutions. Due to his expertise, Mr. Lewis has provided expert testimony on numerous cases.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ringling Museum Ca d’Zan Gatehouse

Photo Library

Completion Date: 2003/2004
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Construction Cost: $301,700.00

The Ca d’Zan Gatehouse at the Ringling Museum of Art serves as the focal point for the main entry to the museum grounds.  The Gatehouse was constructed in the early 1900’s, in conjunction with John and Mable Ringling’s estate house, Ca’ d’Zan.   In the past several decades, the Gatehouse was abandoned and suffered from neglect, termites, and deterioration.  The scope of this restoration project was to restore the building in its entirety, add HVAC, electrical, security, data, video monitoring and prepare the structure to serve as the entry to the future Visitors Center and expanded Ringling Museum.  The project consisted of replacing deteriorated floors and wall framing, furring, as well as replacing the entire roof structure.  The exterior masonry wall veneers’ cast iron grates and grills, and windows were completely restored, and all interior finishes were replaced, including plaster walls, floor tile, and ceilings.  The remaining existing vaulted plaster ceiling in the entry/porch was removed during the roof demolition, and a new framing, grounds and plaster system was installed.   

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MLD Architects receives historic preservation awards.

MLD is proud to announce that the rehabilitation of Dodd Hall and the Cape San Blas Lighthouse were honored with both local and state recognition for excellence in historic preservation. At the state level, Dodd Hall and the Cape San Blas Lighthouse received Outstanding Achievement Awards from the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation, and at the local level, Dodd Hall received the Civic / Community Resource Preservation Award and the Cape San Blas Lighthouse received the Preservation Project of Regional Impact Award from the Tallahassee Trust for Historic Preservation. Each year the Tallahassee and Florida Trusts recognize the significant contributions of individuals, societies, businesses and government entities who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in the field of historic preservation, and MLD is pleased and honored to be recognized by these distinguished organizations.

In pursuit of continued excellence in historic preservation, the Division of Historical Resources has engaged MLD Architects for the rehabilitation of the Call-Collins Mansion at The Grove. The Grove is not only historically significant as a notable example of Greek Revival architecture, but also for its association with the political history of Florida, including its role as the residence of Governor Richard Keith Call, and later, the home to Governor LeRoy Collins and Mary Call Darby Collins. The rehabilitation of the Call-Collins House will utilize state of the art preservation and restoration best practices to both preserve and restore historic materials, and incorporate sustainable design for accessibility and a modern infrastructure system. When complete, the Call-Collins Mansion will commemorate Florida history by honoring and memorializing Florida's governors, including Territorial Governor Richard Keith Call and Governor LeRoy Collins, and those who have preserved, maintained and restored The Grove through many generations.

Please join us in celebrating Florida's rich cultural heritage. We offer a toast to all of the individuals and organizations that have worked, with great dedication and reverence, for the preservation our architectural and cultural heritage!

MLD Architects, Inc.

Terry Maros

Production Manager, IT Administrator, Network Administrator, Webmaster

Producer of contract documents, multimedia presentations, 3D modeling and renderings, establishing and maintaining office standards, hardware and software evaluation, recommendations and training, delegating and scheduling production staff, maintaining physical and electronic libraries, creating and maintaining local networks and the firm's website. Worked on 650+ projects from new construction, historical and traditional renovations, reroofing and waterproofing, asbestos and lead abatement, leed certified projects. Expertise in Autocad and Architectural Desktop, Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop.

  • Florida State University, School of Engineering
  • Tallahassee Community College, AS, Advanced Computer Graphics and Multimedia, 2000 – 2002
  • Tallahassee Community College, Certificate in Advanced AutoCad and Plans Development
  • Saint Petersburg Junior College, AA, Liberal Arts, 1989 – 1991
  • American Institute of Architects, 1993 to present
  • American Institute of Architects, Tallahassee Chapter, webmaster
  • W.T. Moore Elementary School, webmaster

Head Photographer
Terry Maros Photography
Specializing in sports, wildlife and event photography including youth sports, soccer, triathlons, cycling, mountain biking, gymnastics, running, and many other local events.


Allan Golden

Roof Observer / Inspector

Allan Golden joined MLD Architects in 2007, following an Associate of Arts Degree with focus in architecture and engineering. He has experience in project management, construction documents, estimating, planning and scheduling, and drafting. Allan’s participation in roofing and waterproofing projects during construction helps to ensure quality control is achieved for each project.

Allan lives in Crawfordville and enjoys music performance, fishing and hunting at every opportunity.

  • Florida A & M University, BS Construction Engineering Technology, 2011
  • Tallahassee Community College, Associate of Arts, 2007
  • FSU Life Sciences Building, Roof Observer
  • FSU Chemistry Building, Roof Observer
  • FSU Psychology Building Phase II Roof Observer
  • U.S. Postal Service Reroof, Niceville, FL
  • U.S. Postal Service Reroof, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
  • U.S. Postal Service Reroof, Panama City, FL
  • FSU Eppes Building Waterproofing
  • FSU Fine Arts Building: Reroofing and Waterproofing
  • FSU University Center ‘C’ Waterproofing Inspections
  • FSU McCollum Hall: Reroofing and Waterproofing
  • FSU Nursing Building: Reroofing and Waterproofing
  • FSU OSB Rogers Building: Waterproofing
  • FSU Sandels Building: Reroofing and Waterproofing
  • FSU Strozier Library: Reroofing and Waterproofing
  • FSU Dodd Hall: Roofing and Waterproofing
  • FSU Reynolds Hall Waterproofing
  • Florida Supreme Court Window Replacement
  • Turlington Building Waterproofing
  • Wakulla High School Reroofing

J. J. Scott

Roofing / Waterproofing / Renovations
Project Manager

  • Pensacola Junior College
  • Coursework in Pre-architecture, 2002
  • Florida A & M University
  • Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies, 2005
  • Master of Architecture, 2007

  • Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accreditation, November 1, 2006
  • Graduate Architect, Anticipate Licensure, 2011
  • Welding/ Carpentry/ Concrete/ Fabrication
  • Baxley’s Services, Jay, Florida
  • Graduate Architect/ Roof Inspector/ Roofing and Waterproofing Project Manager
  • MLD Architects, Inc.
  • United States Green Building Council, 2007
  • AIA Tallahassee, 2005
  • Associate Director 2009, 2010

Roof Observer, FSU: Medical School, Psychology Building, Chemistry Building, Biological Sciences Building, Classroom Building, Johnston Building, Academic Center – Panama City campus

Roofing and Waterproofing, FSU: Collins Building, Smith/Kellum Hall, Salley Hall, Strozier Library, Fine Arts Building, Hoffman Building, Nursing Building, Bayside Building B and Barron Building, Panama City campus, Bellamy Building, Suwannee Dining Hall, University Center A, University Center D

  • Volunteer Coach, North Florida Christian School, Tallahassee, Florida

Roosevelt Bivens

Project Manager

  • Associate of Arts, Tallahassee Community College, 1993
  • Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies, Florida A & M University, 1999
  • Bachelor of Architecture, Florida A & M University, 2000
  • Graduate Architect, Anticipate Licensure, 2009
  • Associate AIA member 2001 - present

  • Deacon, Executive Board Officer and Chief Financial Officer, St. Stephen Missionary Baptist Church
  • Football Coach/Commissioner, Big Bend Pop Warner
  • Baseball Coach, Little League
  • Former Volunteer Counselor, Boys and Girls Clubs of America

Mr. Bivens joined MLD Architects in 2000, after graduating from Florida A&M University with a Bachelor of Architecture degree. While completing his architectural studies, Mr. Bivens minored in the field of Building Construction Technology, with an emphasis on project management.

Mr. Bivens has worked on numerous projects from schematics to construction administration, excelling in the areas of roof renovations, building exterior envelope waterproofing and historic preservation. These disciplines have been utilized in various projects for schools, universities, the State of Florida, the United States Postal Service and projects on the National Historic Register.

Reroofing Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; Waterproofing Ca’ d’Zan, Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; Reroofing Wakulla Education Center; Reroofing Wakulla Middle School; Reroofing Wakulla High School; Shadeville Elementary School Walkway and Parent Pickup Canopy System; Reroofing Taylor County Courthouse; Reroofing Gadsden County Jail; Reroofing Irwin County, Georgia EMS Facility; Reroofing and Waterproofing Prime Osborne Convention Center, Historic Train Terminal, Jacksonville; Renovation and Roof Repairs Historic Capitol; Reroofing Capitol, House and Senate Wings

Waterproofing RA Gray Plaza Deck; Waterproofing Trinity United Methodist Church; Reroofing Main Post Office, Nashville, Tennessee; Reroofing & Waterproofing 15 buildings at Florida A & M University; Senior Citizens Center Waterproofing, Tallahassee; Florida Supreme Court Waterproofing, Tallahassee; Reroofing FSU Nursing, Biology, Tully Gymnasium, Diffenbaugh and Psychology Buildings, Tallahassee; Waterproofing University A and University B, FSU, Dodd Hall, Phases I and II, FSU, Sandals Building, FSU, Salley Hall, FSU, McCollum Hall, FSU, Bryan Hall Roof Study, FSU, Historic Capitol, Tallahassee, Wakulla High School, Crawfordville, Rogers Building, FSU, Gore Building, Ft. Lauderdale, Federal Surplus Warehouse, Starke, Florida.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Donna Powers

Office Manager, CSI Professional


  • Bachelor of Arts, Jacksonville University, April, 1968
  • Major: History and English Literature
  • MLD Architects, Inc., Tallahassee, Florida, 1987 – Present, Office Manager
  • Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1977 – 1987, Office Manager, Engineering Department
  • Internal Audit Assistant, Internal Audit Department, Office Manager, Department of Security and Safety, Office Manager, Purchasing Department
  • Beaches Hospital, Jacksonville Beach, Florida, 1976 – 1977, Executive Secretary to Hospital Administrator
  • Community Hospital of the Palm Beaches, West Palm Beach, Florida, 1975 – 1976, Office Manager, Nursing Department
  • HP Porter Company, Richmond, Kentucky, 1973 – 1975, Office Manager, Research and Development Department
  • NW Dodge Company, Omaha, Nebraska, 1971 – 1973, Apartment Complex Resident Manager
  • El Paso School Board, El Paso, Texas, 1969 – 1970, Elementary School Teacher
  • Duval County School Board, Jacksonville, Florida, 1967 – 1969, Elementary School Teacher

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gilchrist Elementary School Renovations

Photo Library

The scope of work included site investigation, design, construction documents, bids/negotiations with construction manager, construction administration, and periodic construction observation. The proposed 2,100 square foot expansion of the cafeteria was located on the north side of the existing cafeteria building, and the 1,250 square foot material (food) storage addition was east of the existing kitchen. The existing partial open space was renovated to three resource rooms, upgraded PE fields, extended parent pick-up and extended covered walks.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Florida State University Fine Arts Reroofing

Photo Library

This project included a re-roof of the existing built-up roofing system. The existing roof was removed down to the existing structural concrete deck and a new tapered insulating lightweight concrete deck system and modified bitumen, roofing and flashing system with a manufacturer’s 25 year NDL warranty was installed.

The project also consisted of investigating the exterior envelope of the building for water intrusion and detailing a waterproofing package for the building. This design included repairing deteriorated brick and spalling cast in place concrete, applying a water repellant to the exterior masonry and concrete, epoxy injecting cracked masonry, and replacing sealants at all controls and expansion joints, doors, windows and louvers.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Florida State University Dodd Hall Restoration

Photo Gallery

Dodd Hall served as the Florida State University library from 1924 to 1956, when Strozier Library was completed on campus. This historic landmark is an exceptional example of Gothic Revival architecture and represents not only a significant piece of the historic fabric of the FSU campus, but also the academic history of Florida State University. This rich history is illustrated through a series of custom stained glass windows in the Werkmeister Humanities Reading Room. The central stained glass window with an intricate image of the campus and Florida landscape was constructed by Bob and Jo Ann Bischoff and includes over 10,000 individual pieces of glass. The stained glass windows flanking the grand hall illustrate key figures and events from FSU history.

The smaller west wing was built in 1925. The larger east and south wings were constructed between 1928 and 1929, bringing the building to its current configuration. Over the main entrance, rendered in gold leaf, are the words, "The half of knowledge is to know where to find knowledge." Home to the library until 1956 when Strozier Library opened, Dodd Hall has since housed the College of Arts and Sciences, the Philosophy Department and WFSU-TV. In 1961, the building was renamed in honor of William George Dodd, a former English professor and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1910–1944. Dodd Hall was completely renovated in 1991 and retains both interior and exterior architectural integrity. Even the construction of the new Dodd Hall Auditorium completed in 1993 did not detract from the building's architectural presence. In the lobby of Dodd Hall, note the large oil painting on the east wall. Commissioned by the Class of 1949 and painted by renowned artist and FSU alumna Artemis Housewright, “The University, Sunrise to Sunset” depicts University history and local flora and fauna.

A highly visible project, Florida State University approached MLD Architects (MLD) and Architects Lewis + Whitlock (AL+W) for Design, Construction Documents, and Construction Administration services to restore and stabilize the building envelope, historic windows and renovate the historic, 3,800 square foot Werkmeister Room in order to create a University Heritage Museum to celebrate the tradition and history of Florida State University.

The room is served by several existing mechanical units along each perimeter exterior wall. The utility valves and access requirements posed a difficult challenge for the new wood floor installation. The existing floor substrate was not adequate and had several areas that sagged and were depressed. The existing carpet finish and entire floor substrate were removed. The floor joist system was inspected, and several locations were repaired in order to provide adequate support for the new floor decking while bridging over existing pipes and conduits. Two layers of plywood decking were installed with glue and screw fasteners to provide a solid substrate, free of deflection and noise. The access panels, which were required at every unit (14 total), were creatively designed into the floor pattern. This allowed the joints where the wood flooring had to stop, to be concealed to the greatest extent possible. The access panels included the finish flooring as well as both layers of decking and were secured to the floor with recessed cast bronze anchors and latches that provided for an uninterrupted level floor surfaces throughout.

The main challenge the design team faced with this project was the multiple stained glass windows adorning the exterior of the Werkmeister Room. These windows had very intricate mullion detailing, as well as the obvious delicacy of the stained glass. Great care was taken when pressure washing and cleaning the exterior of the building to prevent any damage to the windows.

Multiple design workshops were conducted with FSU departments and alumni groups to achieve a vision and concept for the museum, which allows for versatile functionality and emphasizes the rich architectural character of the space.

Several meetings were held with the Bureau of Historic Preservation State Architect to ensure complete coordination with the Secretary of Interior Standards for historic preservation.

This successful project was restored according to the Secretary of the Interior’s Guidelines and Standards.

2011 Historic Preservation Award Winner

St. Joe Lighthouse Cape San Blas, Florida

Photo Gallery

The first lighthouse at Cape San Blas, near the town of Port St. Joe, was erected in 1849. It was an 85-foot conical brick tower designed to warn ships of the dangerous shoal at the Cape. This structure was destroyed by a storm in 1851, and replaced in 1856 with a similar brick tower that was destroyed within a few months. The third lighthouse was built in 1857 and was damaged during the War Between the States, but survived until toppled by beach erosion in 1882.

In 1883 it was replaced by a 98-foot "skeletal" lighthouse comprised of eight cast iron legs that support the "watch room" and lantern at the top of the tower. Although the tower initially stood 1500 feet from the shore, a powerful storm in 1894 left it damaged and standing in water. In 1918 it was moved one quarter mile to where it stands today, and the light was lit on January 22, 1919.

The most immediate threat to the Cape San Blas Lighthouse was the deterioration and cracking of the structural cast iron foundation disks and anchor brackets bolted to the concrete footing/piers. The Architect and the Consulting Structural Engineer, Richard Givens P.E., noted significant cracking and corrosion of several of the structural cast iron foundation discs and anchor brackets, which seriously compromised the structural integrity and ability to resist wind loading.

The bracing and tie down rod stanchions, brackets and turn buckles were deteriorating at an accelerated rate from corrosion in the salt environment, and the skeletal structure, stair cylinder, and watch room had evidenced significantly more “rust bloom” over the past few years; much of the upper and lower gallery railings had deteriorated beyond repair and required replacement. The metal roof panels and battens on the Lighthouse lantern had become loose and did not appear secure, compromising the weatherproof envelope of the lantern.

The Cape San Blas site is relatively remote and no qualified contractors and metal fabricators were in this region. The environmental assessment determined the site to be contaminated with lead from years of lead painting on the lighthouse. This contamination had to be remediated before work could begin on the lighthouse.

The greatest challenge was replacing the foundation discs and anchors at the base of each of the lighthouse legs without compromising the structure further during the hurricane season. This was accomplished with the collaboration of Richard Givens P.E. and Alex Klahm, Architectural and Metal Design, Inc.

Through concerted effort of the Gulf County Board of County Commissioners, St. Joseph Historical Society, The Alfred I Dupont Foundation, and Northwest Florida Improvement Foundation, the site cleanup, lead abatement and property transfer to the County was accomplished with the US Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base.

Restoration of the Lighthouse is the final major piece on this site to complement the previously restored “twin” Keeper’s Quarters, which is regularly open for tours by the St. Joseph Historical Society.

The Architect was able to coordinate with the US Air Force and Eglin Air Force Base (previous site owner) for the lead paint abatement and site clean up by the Air Force Base and for this work to be the match for grant funding for the remaining restoration and painting. The Architect was able to prequalify a handful of general contractors with similar experience for bidding. The successful contractor was RestoCon Corp. who had teamed with an excellent metal contractor who has significant lighthouse experience (Alex Klahm, Architectural and Metal Design, Inc.).

This successful project was restored according to the Secretary of the Interior’s Guidelines and Standards.

2011 Historic Preservation Award Winner

Monday, January 3, 2011

Phillip Summers

Project Manager

Phillip Summers joined MLD Architects in 2010 after completing his Master of Architecture Degree with high honors. Before changing careers and pursuing his passion for Architecture, Phillip worked as part of the management team of a Fortune 100 bank, and later as a sales account manager for a Professional Employer Organization. His experience with MLD Architects covers investigative studies and reports, roofing, waterproofing and building envelope repairs, renovation work, historic preservation, and project management. Phillip is currently studying and testing for the Architectural Registration Exams and anticipates licensure in the Spring of 2012.

• Master of Architecture - High Honors, Florida A&M University, Spring 2010
• Bachelor of Science - Management, Florida State University College of Business, 2001

• LEED AP, June 2009
• Graduate Architect, Anticipated Licensure, Spring 2012

• Secretary, American Institute of Architects, Tallahassee Chapter, 2010-2011
• Treasurer, American Institute of Architects, Tallahassee Chapter, 2012
• Municipal Code Enforcement Board Member, City of Tallahassee 2011-2014

• Madison Street Buildings Relocation - Florida State University
• Downtown Buildings Study - Florida State University
• Florida's Historic Capitol Maintenance Budget / Reserve Study
• Plaza Tower Homeowner's Assoc. Maintenance Budget/ Reserve Study
• Barrington Park Condos Homeowner's Assoc. Maintenance Budget/ Reserve Study

• Middleton Golf Center Renovations - Florida State University
• Call-Collins House at The Grove Renovations
• Burns Building Renovations - Department of Transportation
• Perry Post Office Parking Lot Renovations - USPS
• Kirkman Building ADA Renovations - Dept. Hwy. Safety & Motor Vehicles

• Knott Building Roof Repairs -DMS
• Winchester Building Envelope Repairs - DMS
• Spanish House Reroof - Mission San Luis
• Convento/Cocina Reroof - Mission San Luis
• National High Magnetic Field Laboratory HVAC Upgrade - Florida State University